Tribes in Canaan's Land and their meaning
We must remember that Yahweh left some of the tribes in Canaan's Land so that the Children of Israel would be tested and proven to see what was in their heart (Judges 3). Physical Israel is a type and a shadow of Spiritual Israel. Just as physical Israel was tested and proven in the Wilderness and in Canaan's Land; so we, as Spiritual Israel, being ready to cross over, lets not get discouraged with all the "ites" (which are Satanic attributes), especilly at this moment in time.
The "Tribes" of Canaan Mentioned by Name
Genesis 15:19-21 — "The Kenites, and the Kenizzites, and the Kadmonites, and the Hittites, and the Perizzites, and the Rephaims, and the Amorites, and the Canaanites, and the Girgashites, and the Jebusites."
Exodus 3:8 — "And I am come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land unto a good land and a large, unto a land flowing with milk and honey; unto the place of the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites."
Exodus 3:17 — "And I have said, I will bring you up out of the affliction of Egypt unto the land of the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Amorites, and the Perizzites, and the Hivites, and the Jebusites, unto a land flowing with milk and honey."
The Son(s) of Canaan, a son of Ham
Genesis 10:15-19 — "And Canaan begat Sidon his firstborn, and Heth, and the Jebusite, and the Amorite, and the Girgasite, and the Hivite, and the Arkite, and the Sinite, and the Arvadite, and the Zemarite, and the Hamathite: and afterward were the families of the Canaanites spread abroad. And the border of the Canaanites was from Sidon, as thou comest to Gerar, unto Gaza; as thou goest, unto Sodom, and Gomorrah, and Admah, and Zeboim, even unto Lasha."
1. Canaanite: peddler, merchant, trafficker, to bend the knee, to humiliate, vanquish, bring down low, into subjection, under, humble (self), subdue (Son Of Ham)
2. Sidon/Sidonite/Zidon: in a sense of catching fish, lo lie alongside (i.e. in wait) , to catch and animal (fig. Men), chase, hunt, sore, take, game
3. Heth/Hittites: to break down by violence or confusion or fear, abolish, a affright, to make afraid amaze, beat down, discourage, terrify (cause) to dismay go down scare, to prostrate, completely overcome and lacking vitality, will or power to rise. Submission (Son Canaan)
4. Jebusite/Jebus: trodden or trample, loathe, tread, down, under foot, be polluted (descendants of Canaan)
5. Girgashites/Girgasite: To arch; the back, by extremes, the body, or self, highest places, himself (descendants of Canaan)
6. Amorites: boast self, call, challenge, charge, demand, desire, determine, speak against, bitter rebel, a babbler (Son of Canaan)
7. Hivites/Horites: wicked; wickedness; a villager. cave-men — a race of Troglodytes who dwelt in the limestone caves which abounded in Edom, their ancestor was "Seir", who probably gave his name to the district where he lived. They were a branch of the Hivites (Genesis 14:6; 36:20-30; I Chronicles 1:38, 39). They were dispossessed by the descendants of Esau, and as a people gradually became extinct (Deuteronomy 2:12-22). Seir, Seirath — hairy; goat; demon; tempest; rough. A Horite; one of the "dukes" of Edom
8. Arkite: a tush (a tusk; a horse's canine tooth); impatience; reproof; contempt — an inhabitant of Erek (Arka).
9. Sinite: inhabitant of Sin, near Arka (1 Chronicle 1:15). (see Arkite) Sin = a bush; enmity.
10. Arvadite/Arvad: a refuge for the roving, to tramp about, ramble (free or disconsolate), have the dominion, be lord, mourn, rule, wandering; a refuge for the roving — an island city of Canaan —Arvadite or citizen of Arvad (Ezekiel 27:8) A small island and city on the coast of Syria near Tyre and Sidon
11. Hamath/Hamathite: walled, to lie low , a mother-in law, heat, anger, poison, bottles, hot displeasure, furious, indignation, rage wrath, a wall; fortress; to join; a wall of protection. Also a city of the same name where these people lived in on the Orontes, in the valley of Lebanon. (also Chamath
12. Zemarite: wool; pith; a Tsemarite. The name of one of the tribes who inhabited the town of Sumra (Zemar or Zumur), at the western base of the Lebanon range
11 — is the number of the "sons" of Canaan — it means disorder, disorganization, imperfection, disintegration, which falls short of Divine government
Other Tribes that Dwelt in Canaan
1. Amalek, Amalekites — a people that licks up — also called "plunderers" by the Egyptians.
2. Perizzites — to separate, i.e. decide, a chieftain; village; a rustic — village; inhabitant of the open country; an open country — (unwalled) town (without walls); unwalled village; one of the Canaanitish tribes.
3. Midian, Midianites — judgment; covering; habit — an Arabian tribe descended from Midian.
4. Edom, Edomites — Edom, red, earthy; of blood. The name of Esau, Genesis 25:30, "Feed me, I pray thee, with that same red pottage" [Hebrew — haadom, i.e., 'the red pottage'] ... "Therefore was his name called Edom", i.e., Red – also Idumea (Herod the Great). It was mountainous, also called the land or mountain of Seir (also land of Edom).
5. Lot, Lotan — wrapt up; hidden; covered; myrrh; rosin
6. Moab — of his father; patrimony; principal — (the incestuous son and grandson of Lot by his firstborn daughter) — the "father" of the Moabites.
7. Ammon (Ben–ammi) — a people; the son of my people — (the incestuous son and grandson of Lot by his younger daughter) – the "father" of the Ammonites.
8. Kenites — smiths; tinkers — the name of a tribe inhabiting the desert lying between southern Palestine and the mountains of Sinai. Jethro was of this tribe (Judges 1:16).
9. Kenizzites — to hunt; hunter — Kenaz, the name of an Edomite.
10. Kadmonites — eastern; (of time) anterior or (of place) oriental — ancient; they that went before, east, (thing of) old. A Canaanitish tribe which inhabited the north-eastern part of Palestine in the time of Abraham.
11. Repha, Rephaims — in the sense of invigorating; a giant. They are the aborigines of Palestine, afterwards conquered and dispossessed by the Canaanite tribes. (also called Emim, i.e., "fearful"; or Zamzummim) Some of them found refuge among the Philistines, and were still existing in the days of David.
12. Philistines — those who dwell in villages.
Names of Israel
Terah — to breathe; scent; blow – Tharah — same as Terah
Abram — high father
Abraham — father of a great multitude
Isaac — laughter
Jacob — that supplants, undermines; the heel
Israel — who prevails with Elohim
Moses — taken out; drawn forth
Jonathan — given of Elohim
Joshua — a savior; a deliverer (Yahshua)
Boaz or Booz — in strength
Obed — a servant; workman
Jesse — gift; oblation; one who is
David — well-beloved, dear
Saul — demanded; lent; ditch; death
Reuben — who sees the son; my affliction (Leah 1st son)
Simeon — that hears or obeys; that is heard (Leah 2nd son)
Levi — associated with him or joined unto me (Leah 3rd son)
Judah — the praise of Yahweh; (Jew is the same as Judah) (Leah 4th son)
Issachar — reward; recompense (Leah 9th)
Zebulun, Zebulon — dwelling; habitation (Leah 10th son)
Dan — judgment; he that judges (Bilhah 5th son)
Naphtali — that struggles, wrestlings or fights (Bilhah 6th son)
Gad — a band; a troop (Zilpath 7th son)
Asher — happiness (Zilpath 8th son)
Joseph — increase; addition (Rachel 11th son)
Benjamin — son of the right hand (Rachel 12th son)
Ephraim — fruitful; increasing
Manasseh — forgetfulness; he that is forgotten